Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Situationist Valentine: not for conspicuous consumption



 
As I was sorting through my sumptuous 1930s stock,  I noted the date and found myself pondering that I probably should have listed the lingerie in the shop* ready for Valentine's Day**. Instantaneously, I realised that this is exactly why I have always narrowed my eyes at Valentine's Day.  Why, they nearly had me...

“In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles.  Love that was once directly lived has become mere representation.” Guy Debord - Society of the Spectacle.

* This and more coming soon to a shop near you.
**Does not include steak, chips, fizzy wine and heart shaped chocolates for two deal priced at £20 from participating garages only.

No comments: